Farm Street

By Michael Hall, Sheridan Gilley and Maria Perry, Unicorn, £35

London Catholics call their churches by street names, not their dedications. Farm Street is dedicated to Our Lady in Her Immaculate Conception, the devotion made dogmatic by Pius IX in 1854. The church was the achievement of Fr Randal Lythgoe, English Jesuit Provincial from 1841 to 1847, who was “all but the refounder of the Society of Jesus in Britain”. It was built between 1844 and 1849 by the architect John Joseph Scoles, with major alterations and refurbishing continued to 1903.

This beautifully designed and photographed book is supported by three essays. “The History of Farm Street to 1914” is by Sheridan Gilley, the historian of the 19th-century Catholic Revival and its personalities. A Jesuit presence in Mayfair was opposed not by Protestant neighbours, but by the bishop, so the church was not to be a parish; nor could it open a school. This allowed the Jesuit forte, preaching and hearing confessions, to flourish and it became a church of fashion. One grande dame convert is noted as not only the granddaughter of a duke and also a marquess, but “with family connections to six more dukes and three earls”. The antidote is the Jesuit who “did not believe that any poor man could commit more than a venial sin”. Cardinal Manning was received into the Church here, but he later turned against the Jesuits.

Without a secondary school, the house became the seat of a Jesuit school of history, particularly on the English and Welsh martyrs, beginning with Fr John Morris. Gilley’s masterly sketches of individual Jesuits accompany the carte de visite photographs. Alas, there is nothing similar for the 20th century, so Fr Philip Caraman and many others are missing.

“The Architecture and Furnishings of the Church” essay is by the historian Michael Hall. It forms the major part of the book, keyed to the photographs, for which he wrote the captions. The church was built right to edge of its plot, strongly lit from the north and south, and by its clerestory. It was “Late” in style, between the English Decorated and the French Flamboyant. Scoles, who sidestepped Pugin’s insistence on the use of English styles, country models and rood screens, much resented the Pugin-designed high altar, a gift of 1848. The next architect was Henry Clutton, whose Sacred Heart chapel (1857-60) has wonderful alabaster carvings, gilt brass bas-reliefs and a vaulted roof. Clutton, replacing Scoles’s piers in polished Aberdeen granite, widened and vaulted the aisles on the east. He was also responsible for two fine “late” side altars.

​How to continue reading…

This article appears in the Catholic Herald magazine - to read it in full subscribe to our digital edition from just 30p a week

The Catholic Herald is your essential weekly guide to the Catholic world; latest news, incisive opinion, expert analysis and spiritual reflection